Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Questions with Craig Brewer also known as Best Day EVER


Today I was lucky enough to go to the VIP paramount tour. It's buck let me tell ya, but worth everything you spend. The tour includes a stop at the Theater, where the hold screenings, the sign, props and costumes room, the archives, where they have every film they have ever made archived, and the sound stages, where I saw set ups for Glee episodes, and Dr. Phil's show. By the way, Shannon the tour guide was awesome. She knew every thing. All along the tour was history. Like the street scenes from THE GODFATHER, and the area where Lucille Ball made her tv show. Did you know she was the first female head of a studio? She green lighted Star Trek AND Mission Impossible. Anyway after, I got to meet one of my directing Idols, Craig Brewer. He and my mom went to a drama program at A.C.T. in San Francisco. Anyways, I spent about an hour with him talking about films and directors and it was so cool!!!!!! I heard stories, and he told me about some cool things he's worked and is working on. Then he was gracious enough to answer some of my questions. Cause I was trying to listen and take notes...I have to paraphrase a little.

ME: What were your top three favorite films of 2013?

CRAIG: Personally my favorite film of the year was NEBRASKA. I'm a huge Space nut, so I loved GRAVITY, and I really liked AMERICAN HUSTLE.

ME: Who are your directing mentors?

CRAIG: My very first mentor was Harvey Berman, who was at Diablo Valley College, and my second was John Singleton, (BOYS IN THE HOOD) He really believed in me and helped me get, HUSTLE AND FLOW made. He also produced BLACK SNAKE MOAN.

ME: HUSTLE AND FLOW is about a man who lives a bad life, and then discovers what his talent should be. At what age did you figure out you wanted to be a director and writer?

(This is where my mom interjected a question.)
Mom: How long did you act after we got out of A.C.T.?

Craig: I only did one more thing after...So I guess I was about 25. Ya.

ME: You are working on a Tarzan Script... Did you get your ideas from the movies from the forties?

CRAIG: No I read the Burroughs books, and a book called, "The Ghost of Leopold," Which is about the Congo. That helped.

ME: Martin Scorsese likes to use DeNiro and DiCaprio... Tarantino likes Sam Jackson, Who is that actor you say to yourself, "God I wish I could use him in all my films, even if its just a supporting role."

CRAIG: If I had to say, I would say Justin Timberlake. He's really good.

We talked further...about what we liked in films, and the differences of FILMS verses MOVIES. He was funny, and direct. Gave me great advice about films and schools and what a good director is.

I hope I get to work with him one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment